Sunday, October 30, 2005

Gramercy Park

I was on my balcony smoking a cigarette when I saw a tour group cross the street and stare at my building. This woman was giving them a tour, she even had a brochure of what the building looked like inside and everything. I couldn't help but think how much I'll miss living here. Gramercy Park is a special part of New York, even though it is a few blocks from Murray Hill and the East Village, its completely different. It's very old New York. I remember when I first moved here, I was walking h=around the park at 2am and all I kept thinking about was how it looked like something out of an old movie. On these four blocks there are no skyscrapers, no restaurants, no shops, no street vendors, no deli's. You can actually see a few stars at night.
However, come January it will be time for me to move. My roomates starting to get to me. Her screaming matches with her boyfriend and her constant need to play the backstreet boys and Abba at 9am when I'm hungover are just too much. But I'm sure my bad habits such as smoking weed at 3am with 10 of my friends, vomiting all over our living room and passing out with all my clothes on in our shower get to her too. I will miss Nona terribly though. I will miss waking her up and dragging her out of bed at 3am to walk with me to 14th street to eat pizza. She always has work the next day and yells at me for waking her up, but I know she secretly loves it. I will miss tanning on our balcony, drinking with her on 3rd avenue, and our obsession with watching felicity every weeknight.
I'm going to miss the little things like my doorman who thinks I'm insane, the street vendor who I buy my breakfast from every morning, being blocks away from whole foods, seeing Jimmy Fallon and Amanda Lepore on a regular basis. Oh, how I will miss Amanda Lepore walking down Irving Place in her tube top and platform stripper heels, as all the conservative Japs turn and stare.
I'm moving into a 3 bedroom in the east village with 2 of my best friends. I'm not sure living with best friends is a good idea. I have two friends that have bees best friends, completely inseprable since grammar school. They moved into an apartment together in September and now their not on speaking terms.
It's just time for me to move on. The old woman who lives next door keeps complaining that I have too many loud people over late at night and I slam doors just to wake her up. The first may be true, but is it really a crime to have friends over on a friday night? come on, new york used to be the most exciting city in the world. Now it's all quiet and no drinking coffee on the subway or you'll get a ticket, and smoking behind fences. My landlord actually told me I now have to sign my guests in a notebook with the security guard, so he can keep track of how many people I have over. I feel like I'm five years old again.
I actually wanted to move to alphabet city, maybe somewhere between avenue b and c. Alphabet city seems like the only place left in Manhattan that knows how to have any fun. But my friends weren't to keen on anything below first avenue, so the east village it is. I'm excited, a little nervous but excited. My parents aren't happy about me moving. My Aunt lives on the floor above me and I think they liked the fact that she could always tell them where I was or what I was doing. They said they wouldn't help me with my rent, so come January I'll most likely be back to serving drinks to yuppie assholes 4 nights a week. Oh how I hate Wall Street.
Oh, I won't miss the actual Gramercy Park though. That shit is overrated. Union Square is so much better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home